Tyler grew up in Oregon, where he began swimming at a very young age. He joined a competitive swim team at the age of six, started setting team records by the age of ten, and was setting State and Nationals records by the age of twelve. His first berth on an All-Star team took him to Maui at the age of ten, and has traveled as far as Rome as a member of the US National Junior Team. In college, Tyler swam for the USC Trojans while he studied Kinesiology and has called Southern California home ever since.
Born into a family of swimmers, his parents have both been high school swim coaches for over 30 years each, and both continue to coach to this day. Each of his three younger siblings swam competitively for NCAA Division I schools. Tyler has been providing swim instruction for 20 years to various levels of swimmers ranging in age from 1 to 80 years, and ranging in ability from beginner to Olympian. Over the last four years, the Overall winner of the Dwight Crum Pier-to-Pier has been coached by Tyler.
While he still considered himself a swimmer, Tyler has competed in many endurance events including Sprint and Olympic distance triathlons, Road and Trail marathons, and of course the Dwight Crum Pier-to-Pier Swim.
- 2009 - Present - Los Angeles Peninsula Swimmers - Head Coach
- 1997 - Present - Private Swim Instructor
- 2009 - 2015 - Swim Torrance - Head Coach / Age Group & Senior Assistant Coach / Head Dry-Land Coach
- 2010 - 2010 - Spectrum Athletic Club - South Bay - Masters Swim Coach
- 2005 - 2006 - Oregon State University - Faculty & Staff Fitness Program Swim Instructor
- 1997 - 2006 - Corvallis Country Club - Assistant Age Group Swim Coach / Swim Lesson Instructor
- 2004 - 2004 - Schubert Swim Camp - Swim Camp Instructor / Video Analysis / Stroke Technician
Competitive Swimming Experience:
NCAA Div. I - University of Southern California - Men's Varsity Swim Team - 2002 - 2006
- Men's Team Co-Captain (2005-2006)
- Josh Ilika Spirit Award (2005)
USA Swimming - Corvallis Aquatic Team / Trojan Swim Club - 1989 - 2008
- Three time Olympic Trials Qualifier (2000, 2004, 2008)
- Oregon Male Swimmer of the Year (2002)
- Team Captain - USA Swimming National Junior Team (2002)
- Top 8 Finisher - 5K Open Water U.S. Nationals (2001, 2002)
- Top 16 Finisher - 1500m Freestyle U.S. Nationals (2001)
- Fastest 14 year-old 1650yd Freestyle in the U.S. (1998)
- U.S. National Age Group Record 12&U 2000yd Freestyle (1996)
- Oregon Swimming Age Group Record Holder (1500m Fr, 1650yd Fr, 400 IM)